Sunday, February 03, 2008

Joanna Newsom @ BAM


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




As you may know, we at Snakes Got A Blog dont usually feel the need to go on and on with our thoughts about the music, instead we let you download the songs that you want to hear, and let the music talk for itself. This time, I cant help but to indulge a little. Last Friday I attended the Joanna Newsom show at BAM. Let me start by saying, WOW!! Now, i've seen a heck of a lot of great shows in my day, but never have I witnessed or experienced brilliance, at this level before in my life. This was the first time I saw JN live, and I was lucky enough to catch her perform with not only The Brooklyn Philharmonic Orchestra, but also with her Y's Street Band.

Of course I had the recorder along for the ride. I had tech difficulties right in the beginning, and right in the middle of the fourth song "Only Skin", when I was caught by BAM security. So needless to say all that I have to offer to you, at this point, is the first 3 and 1/2 songs of the show(:(). These include Emily, Monkey & Bear, Sawdust & Diamonds, and little more than half Only Skin (runtime. 42 minutes). Here are those songs for your listening pleasures:

Intro Emily
Emily
Monkey & Bear
Sawdust & Diamonds
Only Skin (Cut)

Now by the time I returned from being accosted by these security guards, the song "Cosmia" had just begun. It was wonderful. I wish you could hear it. After "Cosmia" they broke for intermission where I saw Andy Samberg from SNL, who is I guess dating Joanna Newsom (That Lucky Bastard). He was acting pretty gay, anyway I did in fact record the rest of the show after that, although instead of on my lap, the recorder was in my pocket. It came out OK anyway. The second half of the show was Joanna and her Y's Street Band who performed tracks off of Milk-Eyed Mender, Y's Street ep, as well as two new songs (one of which JN played alone), and one cover(JN w/ Kevin Barker). Here are the rest of the songs...

Bridges and Balloons
Book of Right On
Colleen
Inflammatory Writ
Barack Obama (talk)
New Song 1 (Barbara)
Peach, Plum, Pear
Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie
New Song 2 (Esme)
Same Old Man (Karen Dalton cover)

Also Go GIANTS, and who else thought Andy Samberg was Adam Sandlers brother, or was that only me?
also the above Photo is courtesy of Metromix

15 Comments:

At 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Andy Samberg there with anyone else? What was he doing during the intermission? Did you notice anything interesting about his behavior? I wish Joanna was still with Bill Callahan.

 
At 10:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this.
We would love to here the rest of the show.

 
At 3:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much for posting! i would absolutely love to hear the whole show, if you could post it... also i think monkey and bear and sawdust and diamonds might be expired(they weren't working).... thanks so much again, i'm so looking forward to hear some new songs! thanks!

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Kellen said...

thanks for these, i would really like to here the 2nd half of the show if possible.

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger James said...

monkey and bear and sawdust and diamonds have been fixed check back soon for the rest of the show!

 
At 6:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, the new stuff is great

 
At 11:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the talent of this wonderful being, so others too can appreciate it!!

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger Moderator said...

Perhaps I'm a square, but I've yet to get into her music. After months of trying.

I may have to give up.

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger James said...

These songs will be back up in 7 days... sorry for the wait

 
At 7:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, can you please upload them again? they arent working
that would be much appreciated

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger Shobhna said...

I second the request for a reupload! Please!

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger Unfaltering Certainty said...

please reupload these!

 
At 3:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find these recordings in a .rar file here --
http://rs376.rapidshare.com/files/90530446/Brooklyn_2008.rar

 
At 1:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you guys seen this hilarious video on freedomhaters.org. It compares her music to baby gargle. I love her music but this video had me laughing my ass off.

Check it out here:

http://freedomhaters.org/content/joanna-newsom-or-baby-gargle-you-decide

 
At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

same old man is an old traditional folk song. karen dalton has done it, as well as the holy modal rounders and a bunch of others. it is not 'her' song.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home